Today being Christmas, I decided to bake a cake using dry fruits and a cup of red wine.
1 Bowl each of raisins, apricots, fig, dates, mixed peels, and sultanas
½ bowl of Almonds, ½ bowl of Walnuts.
1 cup of Red wine.
25 gm butter/2 tbsp castor sugar (use fine sugar)
225 gm Unsalted butter
225 sugar: firmly packed Dark brown Muscovado sugar
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1-2 tsp spice ( I used nutmeg/cinnamon/clove/pepper/cardamom )
250 gm All purpose flour (Maida)
- Chop and combine all the raisins, sultanas, dates, figs, apricots, and mixed fruit in a bowl.
- Place the castor sugar in a thick sauce-pan over slow heat until sugar melts, add 25 gm butter and 1 cup of wine . Stir it.
- Add the 225 gm butter, the brown sugar, and the mixed fruits, and stir so all gets mixed, bring to boil and remove from heat.
- Transfer this into large bowl, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and cover the bowl to let it stand overnight at room temp. (pic#5 show how it looks)
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 °C (fan assisted). Grease and line the cake tin with parchment.( I used 2 cake tins, different shapes)
- Beat eggs in a bowl, add the spice to it and then mix it with the fruit mixture. Add the nuts. Fold in the all-purpose flour into the mixture.(pic#6 shows the batter after adding the eggs)
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 30 mins.
- Cool the cake on wire rack.
Fruit juices can also be used as an option instead of wine. The Muscovado sugar imparts a nice color and flavor to the cake, hence I used it for this cake. I had fun baking it, go ahead and try it out.