CHILLI PAKORAS OR MIRCHI BHAJIA:
If it rains, then the first food that comes to the mind is pakoras, and Chai (tea) to go with them. Unseasonal rains resulted in me ending up making the chilli pakoras and they got served as the dinner menu. It’s always good to eat something different for dinner once in a while!
Long green chilli- 4
Potato- 1 Big (Boiled)
Gram Flour (Besan)-1bowl/cup
Carom Seed (Ajwain)-1/2 tsp
Oil- For frying
Salt/ Turmeric/ Chat masala/ Cumin/ Coriander- As per taste.
Bicarbonate of soda- 1 g (one pinch)
- Wash and pat dry the green chillies on a kitchen towel.
- Slit the chillies and remove all the seeds, and apply lemon juice on the inside.
- Mash the boiled potato and add the ingredients-finely chopped onion, green coriander leaves, salt, turmeric, cumin, chat masala and mix it to make a filling for the chilli.
- Fill the potato mixture inside each chilli.
- Take 1 cup/bowl of gram flour (besan) in a bowl, add salt, turmeric, and water to make a batter of medium thickness. Add 1 pinch of Bicarbonate of soda to this batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a karahi.
- Dip the chilli in the besan batter and deep fry on medium flame. Fry the chilli till they are cooked and crispy in appearance.
SERVING OPTION: Serve the hot bhajias with tomato sauce or green chutney.