By now, you all are aware of my fondness for home-baked cakes. Every couple of days and I have the urge to bake cake, this time I wanted to use the dried cranberries and blueberries that I had purchased with thoughts of adding them to make a loaf cake. Also, couple days back, my niece had requested me to share my recipe for a simple cake , which I already gave. I had promised her that I will put a cake post for her, this is an easy and delish recipe baked especially for my dear niece. All my nephews and nieces love eating cakes, a few of them are good at baking too. I feel they are part of my chain that spreads the happiness through the cakes they bake.
Baking is a joy, you will not know of until you try and bake your own first cake.
For those who know how to bake a cake it is not a big task. But for all the new beginners who wish to try out baking their first homemade cake it sure becomes an anxious time until the baked good is out of the oven. I would like to point out here to all the new/first time bakers to go ahead, it is not something that cannot be done, even the first attempt at baking would make it clear to you how pleasurably simple baking a cake is.
Go ahead and give yourself these happy moments.
- Please note to use all ingredients at room temperature.
- Weighing the ingredient quantity is the most important step to follow to get the perfectly baked goods.
- Use good quality ingredients and check for the expiry of the baking powder or baking soda used.
- Line the baking tin with butter paper or grease the tin with butter and dust with flour and shake off the excess flour. In this way keep the cake tin ready for use.
- The oven should be preheated to the set temperature before inserting the cake tin for baking.
DRIED CRANBERRY & BLUEBERRY LOAF
Refined Flour: 250 gm
Sugar: 200 gm
Unsalted Butter: 170 gm
Milk: 50 ml
Orange: 1/2 (I used the Valencia variety)
Orange Essence: 1 Tsp
Baking Powder: 1 Tsp
Baking Soda: 1/4 Tsp
Dried Cranberries & Blueberries: 150 gm (More can also be added)
- Prepare the cake tin as explained above in Note paragraph. Preheat the fan-assisted oven to 150 deg C. Mix the bake powder and baking soda with refined flour and sieve the flour. This allows even mix of the ingredients.
- Beat the unsalted butter until soft and light. Add the powdered sugar and beat, then add the milk and beat mixture till light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beat till the mixture is smooth. Add the essence and juice of half orange and mix well.
- Taking a spoonful of the flour at a time, fold it into the cake batter. Folding the flour in cake is mixing flour using rubber spatula, moving hand in one direction, cut and fold, until flour disappears. Take care not to burst or make the air bubbles disappear from the batter, hence do not over mix.
- Finally add the dried berries into the cake batter and mix gently. Pour the batter immediately into the prepared loaf tin and put it into the preheated oven to bake at 150 deg C for 45 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally mix the dried berries into the cake batter.
Adding of the milk and orange juice makes it a slightly thin batter, so the loaf slice is light and fluffy. I have used a mixer pot to beat and mix the wet ingredients to make the batter, and folded the dried ingredients into this batter.
TIP: For a more orangey flavor, one can add 1-2 tsp of orange zest. (Scrap out the orange outer cover to get the zest).
With the winter almost upon us, warm tea or coffee mugs with a delicious cake slice would make a perfect start of the day. One could also make this cake and give as home-baked gifts during this season of sharing, adding a personal touch to gifting. You would also help me by becoming the part of my chain and spread happiness through your baked cakes.
Wishing you all Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the day with family and friends.
You must be logged in to post a comment.