The month of March brings with it the Indian festival of Holi, which is a festival of colours that creates an atmosphere of fun and joy all around. This festival, a celebration of arrival of Spring, brings together people of all age groups enjoying throwing and splashing colour and water on each others. It is one of my favourite, and I definitely had lot of fun moments this year too.
Friends, just as the colours in Nature marvels our mind and soul, a couple brush strokes of paint on a white canvas brings out life in form of a picture, so does the different coloured vegetables and fruits in our diet work their wonder on our body. They are power packed sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, dietary fibres etc. adding bulk and fullness. Just with mixing of couple raw vegetables and fruits we too can create something wonderful in our kitchen to give us a reason to raid the refrigerator without a guilt, on a hot summer afternoon. My food plate has to have a splash of colour in terms of the food choices and today sharing here one of my favourite salads, a very colourful one for the sight that definitely draws our attention and tickles the taste buds with its combination of sweet and tangy flavours. The combination of fruits and vegetables added purely depends on personal taste, and one could make it as versatile as one wants it to be. To get a nutty taste do not forget to throw in some dried nuts of choice.
Bell peppers: 1/2 Yellow, Green, Red, Orange
Carrot: 1 Small
Cucumber: 1 Medium
Blueberries: a handful
Grapes: few (preferably seedless)
Nuts: Almonds or Walnuts: A handful.
Salt and Pepper- For seasoning.
Olive oil: 1Tsp
- Wash and towel dry all the vegetables and fruits.
- Remove the pearls from the pomegranate.(Click Here to see how to do it) Remove the skin of the apples and orange.
- Cut all the vegetables and fruits into small even size and put into a bowl. Mix the pomegranate pearls into this.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds or any roughly crushed nuts of choice into the bowl mix. Add the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss all the ingredients together to mix properly so the different flavours are infused together.
I like the salad cold and hence use all vegetables and fruits that are just taken out from the fridge. Use fresh fruits and vegetables to get the crunch in the bite. One could also add sliced pistachios or cashewnuts. Chat masala can also be added, but I prefer only salt and pepper.
Go ahead, try eating this fresh salad after a good workout😉, you will definitely feel refreshed.