Most of us are fond of eating pizza, I am no exception. Pizza is something the kids would never say no and possible would eat almost regularly, every day, only if I allowed it. When the mood is for eating pizza, but to avoid the frequent intake of refined wheat flour and yeast to make the pizza base, for those evenings this is my quick menu to satiate the pizza hungry kids. My mother used to make something similar to this recipe but used the regular gas stove for cooking, but I baked it and the family was happy with the final product. It does not take very long time for making this recipe, except for the baking time.
Thalipeeth: Thalipeeth is a type of flat bread, a dish from Maharashtra state in India. Though typically it is made of multigrain flour mix, but for today’s dish I am using only wheat flour as the main ingredient. It is mixed with onions, spring onions, green chillies, seasoned to personal taste and baked to get the desired crunch and crispy taste. An extremely spicy tomato dip/chutney is served along with it.
Ingredients For Thalipeeth:
Whole Wheat flour-3 cups (300-350g)
Oil: 3 Tbsp
Onion: 1 large (finely chopped)
Spring onions: 1 cup (finely chopped)
Green chillies: 3-4 Medium sized (finely chopped)
Green Coriander: 1-2 Tbsp (finely chopped)
Carom seeds: 1 Tsp. (Ajwain)
Flaxseed: 1 Tbsp (I use it, its a good source of fibre and omega-3 essential fatty acid)
Sesame seeds: 1 Tbsp
Salt: To taste
Turmeric powder: 1/2 Tsp.
Curd: 2 Tbsp
Baking powder: 1/2 Tsp
Water: As required to make a medium soft dough.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan assisted. Grease a square baking tin, I used a brownie baking tin.
- Sift the wheat flour and baking powder together.
- Take a clean, dry bowl and add the sifted wheat flour. To it add the finely chopped onions, spring onions, chillies, coriander, the three types of seeds mentioned above, salt, turmeric and curd.
- Mix all the ingredients of the bowl thoroughly. Add 2 tbsp oil to it and mix well.
- Using the required quantity of water make a medium soft dough and knead well.
- Taking the greased baking tin firmly press the dough inside the tin. Press with fingers to get even thickness on all sides.
- Brush the top of the dough with oil and drop few drops along the walls of the tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or till we get golden brown crust.
One can enjoy this dish with chilli sauce or a curd dip, but I prefer the tomato dip. Recipe of the tomato dip follows.
Spicy Tomato Chutney/Dip:
Ripe red tomatoes- 2 Large
Green chillies- 2-3 (spicy variety)
Salt/ red chilli powder/ turmeric- As per taste.
Oil- 1-2 tsp.
Mustard seeds- for seasoning
- Heat oil in pan and add the mustard seeds, chopped green chillies, garlic and onion. Sauté till they are soft.
- Then add the red chilli powder, turmeric, and salt.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till done.
- Remove from heat into a bowl and cool.
- Blend this in blender to get the smooth dip.
Tip: If one does not wish to use a blender, then you can add a little water to the tomatoes and cook them to a very soft and saucy consistency.